A Practical Study of Argument, Enhanced Edition

Govier, Trudy

For sale by Kristi for $100

A Practical Study of Argument, Enhanced Edition

Govier, Trudy

For sale by Dominique for $120

PHIL1002: Exam Notes

Written by Sheridan

Topics Include: - Recognising Argument - Standardising Argument - Structuring Argument - Evaluat...

26 pages, 8036 words

Rachel

$25 per hour

Are you in need of a friendly, reliable and professional tutor? Stressed about that upcoming exam an...

Jack

$40 per hour

Hi, I’m Jack :) I am a BPhil (Hons) student majoring in Politics, Philosophy and Economics. I jus...

Reviews

Really interesting unit - I think every student would benefit from this unit. It is a methodology unit so lots of practice is key! You use only one textbook throughout the semester, not much reading involved. 40% of the unit is from participation and quizzes - easy to get 40/40 if you participate in all tutorials and make a serious attempt in the quizzes. This unit will help you in argumentation/discussion. I found learning about the different fallacies really fun. Lecturers are funny and engaging. Tutors very helpful and friendly too.

Anonymous, Semester 1, 2020

As a philosophy major, I found this unit really interesting with lots of useful concepts. The two assessments are given 100% if you attempt all of the questions (doesn't matter if your answers are right or wrong). The exam was pretty straight forward if you revised beforehand. Making notes along the way and revising thoroughly before the exam got me a HD. However if you're thinking of doing it as broadening unit, it is quite time consuming.

Anonymous, Semester 1, 2019

Was a little dry but a good foundation unit for studying philosophy/developing critical thinking skills.

Anonymous, Semester 1, 2017

I took this unit as a broadening unit, so had no foundational knowledge of philosophy at all. Although I found the concepts and ideas quite interesting, the examples used workshops were often taken from philosophers and philosophical texts, therefore more difficult to interpret than a modern day example would have been. 40% of your grade is practically given to you; you need only show up to the workshops and put reasonable effort into the two assessments. The remaining 60% is made up in the exam, which is like doing both assessments at the same time.

Anonymous, Semester 1, 2019

Critical thinking is an important unit to do if you know you will be doing other philosophy units in the future. It provides an excellent foundation to analyse arguments & is the most useful of all level one philosophy units. I found that there was too much content crammed into the unit, making it difficult to memorise & understand everything covered. The textbook is a very useful resource, however the lectures are not. Halfway through the semester the lecturer stopped writing the relevant information on the slides because everyone was typing instead of paying attention. This increased the difficulty of studying for the exam. The workshops were a good way of applying techniques learnt into the analysis of arguments.

Anonymous, Semester 1, 2018

Being objectively as I can, I must give props to the content in this course. When processed through my brain, it really was an eye opener into social reality, and I have grown the wiser into listening into blasphemous politics and emotionally driven radicals. But that's where it ends. For those who don't have as much patience as I do, it can be really easy to lose interest in this course. The lack of content in the PowerPoints is to blame. That wouldn't matter if the lecturers were engaging enough, but that wasn't the case. It felt as if it the lecturer droned on and on, something you'd expect in a movie or a book. The other saving grace though, was the workshops. The tutor explained things that were in lectures in the matter of minutes, and immediately put it to use.

Anonymous, Semester 1, 2017

PHIL1002 teaches the very foundational reasoning and argumentation of Philosophy in a systematic way (including things like common fallacies and understanding levels of inference and validity). This is of immense value to analysing texts at the uni level. The lectures are simple, straightforward and easy to follow however the issue i found is in the actual application of the content. Sometimes things can be difficult to see and leave you with wide eyes drooling, yet, the tutorials do go into some detail about how to apply the skills by analysing long paragraphs together as a class which i feel is where i ought to have concentrated the most. Dr Nim Kirkham was a very engaging lecturer and really came down to the personal level of the students which I found appealing.

Anonymous, Semester 1, 2017