UNSW Science Tutor Matt
Hi, I'm Matt! VERY RESPONSIVE
I'm a UNSW student studying Science.
Hello! I'm Matt, and I run Matt’s tutoring: for maths, stats, computer science, economics, and philosophy. I have tutored for over six years, and hold an 80+ WAM studying Data Science and Philosophy, and a 99+ ATAR from high school.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, I am offering online tutoring via Skype or a medium of your choice. My lessons are one-on-one, for a minimum of two hours.
I tutor in a way that ensures students properly digest the fundamentals, making all future content much easier and more satisfying to study.
I believe that too many people are merely taught how to do problems or tailor-make answers for exams, without understanding why these methods work, or where they come from.
Mathematics, statistics and other quantitative subjects are viewed as useful, but all too often as blind manipulations of symbols on a page. Philosophy as a discipline is often thought to be useless and impractical.
With me, you'll realise quickly that none of these things is true! My tuition prioritises the "why", as I believe the "how" is an easy logical consequence once you understand “why”.
I won't make you memorise a sequence of steps or arguments – computers will always outpace you!
Instead, I'll train you to understand what underlies your subject, and thereby, think for yourself and learn how to learn, which is the ultimate goal of an education. And trust me, improved marks follow easily from this!
1) Over six years of tutoring in a range of subjects. See my reference list below to get a glimpse.
2) A distinction university average across a wide range of university subjects, including:
- mathematics: HD average and marks as high as 93
- statistics: HD average, marks as high as 95
- economics: DN average and marks up to HD level
- logic and other philosophy subjects (ethics, metaphysics and political philosophy): HD average and marks up to 98.
3) Over three years of experience in writing code in C, R, Python and more. I am also a certified SAS programmer (as of November 2018) and am adept in using Excel in more complicated workplace situations.
I can teach up to third year in various subject areas, both quantitative and qualitative:
- fundamentals of statistics, linear models (regression, econometrics), and Bayesian inference
- fundamentals of calculus and linear algebra
- discrete mathematics, cryptography (ciphers) and codes
- microeconomics (first year)
- game theory (second year)
- first year computer science subjects: introductory programming in C, Python or R, as well as data structures and algorithms
- how to use Excel or SAS for data management
- philosophy: classical logic, critical thinking, introductory ethics, practical/applied ethics
- essay writing: planning and practice for arts subjects
- essay editing for philosophy
And more! (I am open to requests.)
It's not "work smarter not harder."
“Work smarter, and not just harder”: keep up the effort, but do the right kind!
Matt tutored me for Introductory Econometrics (ECON2206) and was incredibly helpful. He was extremely clear and thorough and a highly recommend his services to people of all abilities.
Conor, StudentVIP member
since March, 2017
In Term 1 2020, Matt tutored me for Discrete Maths (MATH1081) and Calculus and Algebra for MATH1B (MATH1231). Matt's a very encouraging, motivating and well-organised tutor. He mapped out a lesson plan for me which helped me to structure the term and gave purpose to each individual lesson.
I have always struggled with maths but with Matt's tuition I was able to succeed in both courses (Discrete and MATH1B) and greatly improve my mathematical understanding and my results. Due to the lockdown we had to move to online lessons but they were just as good as our face to face lessons. He also helped me develop my intuition for maths and problem solving, something that will not only help me going forward in my degree (BSc Computer Science) but also in my field as a programmer. Matt is an exceptional, experienced and supportive tutor. I highly recommend him!
James, StudentVIP member
since March, 2016
I would highly recommend Matt for tutoring with COMP1511, MATH1081 and MATH1131. Thanks to his excellent, methodical explanations of difficult topics, I was able to pass all three of the above subjects, with the COVID-19 lockdown ongoing.
Alex, StudentVIP member
since February, 2020
Matt tutored me for ECON2206. He was very knowledgeable and easy to understand. I definitely recommend him, not only for his expertise, but he is great value for money.
Cameron, StudentVIP member
since August, 2018
Matt helped me alot with Math2801 when i was really struggling. His explanation was pretty clear and easy to understand and he always demonstrates the concept behind every formula which i found really helpful for deep understanding. I am greatful for his help and highly recommend him to be your tutor.
Zoe, StudentVIP member
since August, 2017
Matt was an great tutor for MATH1151. He was able to explain complicated ideas in a way that was easy to understand and was massively helpful. Highly recommend him!
Julian, StudentVIP member
since March, 2019
I highly recommend Matt for tutoring! He helped me for Comp2521, and clearly has a very thorough understanding of the course content.
Matt was very helpful in explaining harder concepts (tailoring his explanations to suit my learning style), as well as breaking down tutorial questions so that they are easier to understand. I am very grateful for his help!
Clara, StudentVIP member
since February, 2018
- Matt has contributed to StudentVIP by submitting a rating or review for this subject.