What's happened to Textbook Exchange?
It's changed it's name to StudentVIP Textbooks. And in the process we've drastically improved the site. You'll love the new site even more.
Does StudentVIP charge a commission?
Briefly, how does StudentVIP Textbooks work?
Sellers list their books for free.
Buyers search for free.
Buyers then contact sellers from the site to arrange to transact. There are three ways to transact;
- meet on your campus,
- meet in your city’s CBD, or
- Australia wide with Australia Post COD service.
The site doesn't handle books or money and takes no commission - using the site is 100% free.
What is textbook boosting?
For one payment $9 all your textbook listings will go to the top of search results (up to 20 textbooks). It’s a really simple way to get people looking at your listings if you want to get rid of your textbooks quick or just want to make some easy money! If you’ve got a lot of textbooks you can boost up to 100 for just $49.
Sellers: How much will I make?
You can list books at any price. We recommend listing most books somewhere around 50% off the RRP price for current editions. Offer a lower price for older editions.
Buyers: How much will I save?
Around 50% for current editions. Sellers choose the price they want to sell for. If the seller has entered the new book RRP price, the site will automatically calculate how much you save.
Smart search tips...
- The book's ISBN number is unique for every book edition. So it’s the best search term.
- What edition do you want? You can save heaps more if you don't need the latest edition. Ask you lecturer if the previous edition is just as good. You’ll save much more.
- BEST TIP: Search results are automatically listed by price. You can change this to have them listed by most recently listed. These are less likely to be sold already.
Is it safe to meet people in person?
You be the judge. If you're not entirely comfortable, don't.
It is probably best to meet during the day in a public place like a cafe and maybe take a friend and maybe get the other persons mobile number before you meet. Or alternatively, use the Australia Post COD service.
What happens when my used books are sold?
Login to the site and delete your textbook. That way no one will email you wanting to buy it. As a community space, keeping the database up-to-date is a good thing to do.
How does Australia Post COD work?
It's an easy way to buy and sell used books. The textbook is sent to the recipient who will then need to go to their local Australia Post branch and then pay for the item before they are allowed to collect it. You will cost a little extra to send a textbook this way but it gives both the buyer and seller confidence that the textbook and payment will arrive. Learn more about COD on the Australia Post website.
I've registered but can't log in?
- Click "forgot password" and get your login and password emailed to you. If you don't receive the email within a few minutes, you may have mistyped your email address when first registering. In this case you will need to register again with the correct email.
- Got the right login and email and still having problems: Empty the "cache" in your browser preferences.
What campus should Distance Ed students use?
For convenience, the site displays your "local" search results first - so the best thing might be to register at your closest campus, even if you're not actually enrolled there.
I've contacted a few sellers but they don't respond...
This is more common later in the semester after lots have books have already been sold. The best tip is to re-order your search results by "date listed" - that way you are looking at the most recently listed book.
I think the site is great - How can I help?
Want to put something back to our little textbook community? Here's two things that work;
Send an email to Helen on email@example.com and volunteer to put up some StudentVIP Textbooks posters at your campus - include your address. Helen will send you some posters and a surprise. The site's success is built on the members who volunteer to help.
Please get in touch with us, we'd love to help! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!