LSS Mergers and Acquisitions Competition (Sponsored by Gilbert + Tobin)
14 March, 2016
Monash Law Students' Society
Law Students Society
Introduced in 2015, the Mergers and Acquisitions Competitions is the most recent addition to the range of competitions offered by the LSS Competitions Portfolio. Run in conjunction with Gilbert + Tobin, this competition requires you to step into the shoes of a transactional lawyer and run a takeover from beginning to end.
Competitors will be working in teams of three and will be required to progress through the following tasks:
1. Takeover Advice – where students prepare a memo with initial advice to the client
2. Pitch Presentation – where the top 8 teams deliver their advice to their client in an oral presentation
3. Contract Analysis – where the top 4 teams will receive a draft contract and must prepare a list of issues with the document
4. Contract Negotiation (Grand Final) – where the final 2 teams will engage in face-to-face negotiations to develop the final details of the bid implementation agreement
The Mergers & Acquisitions competition is designed to test the students’ whole toolbox of legal skills – from giving advice and presenting a pitch to contract analysis and negotiation, and everything in between. This is the ultimate experience for anyone wanting to see what real life lawyering is about. It is also an incredible opportunity for skill building and networking as each stage of the competition is assessed by Gilbert + Tobin lawyers, with the Grand Final negotiation being held at the firm’s office.
“I liked the commercial and practical focus of the competition commercial law practice operates in a real life setting.” – 2015 Competitor.
“The competition was of real world commercial relevance and posed a simulated real life scenario in which the problem could be tackled.” – 2015 Competitor.
This competition is open to LLB and JD students who have completed Contract A & B prior to Semester One or Trimester Two 2016, respectively. Students wishing to participate in the Mergers & Acquisitions competition must register themselves online before the commencement of Round 1.
In order to be able to register, students MUST be available on all of the following dates:
· Round One Problem Released: Monday 21 March [Online]
· Round One Submissions Due: Thursday 7 April [Online]
· Round One Results Released: Thursday 21 April [Online]
· Round Two (Gilbert + Tobin's Offices): Thursday 28 April
· Round Three Submissions Due: Wednesday 4 May [Online]
· Grand Final (Gilbert + Tobin's Offices): Thursday 12 May
Registrations open on the 14/03/16 and will close at 5PM on 18/03/16.
Competition Regulations: http://monashlss.com/sites/default/files/2016/page/2016_competition_regulations-2.pdf
To register for Mergers & Acquisitions 2016, go to: http://goo.gl/forms/8jCRZo5P63