LSS General Moot 2016 (Sponsored by Ashurst and King & Wood Mallesons)
21 March, 2016
Monash Law Students' Society
Law Students Society
Senior Division proudly sponsored by King & Wood Mallesons.
Junior Division proudly sponsored by Ashurst.
The Monash Law Students' Society General Moot Competition is the premier mooting competition offered by the Monash Law Students' Society. It’s like a mock trial, but the essential issue isn’t the facts – it’s the application of legal principles. The competition tests both students' research, formulation of legal argument and public presentation skills.
How the competition works:
Teams of two or three law students (two barristers and an optional third solicitor) receive a legal problem to research and prepare for. Students will be required to research arguments for their side but are also encouraged to research and prepare against potential arguments offered by the opposing team. Students will also need to submit a legal memorandum detailing their main arguments.
On the morning of the competition, teams exchange memorandums. This allows teams time to prepare rebuttals or counter-arguments against their opposing team. In the evening teams face off in a “moot” where they vocalise their legal arguments in front of an adjudicator in a courtroom setting.
Teams are awarded a score for their performance based on the strength of their legal memorandum, their legal arguments and their presentation skills. Monash law students from all year levels are encouraged to enter.
Junior and Senior Division
The competition is broken up into the Junior and Senior divisions.
· Only students who have not yet completed Property Law B are eligible to compete in the Junior Division. Problems in this division will be drawn from contract, tort or criminal law.
· Teams containing at least one student who has completed Property Law B will compete in the Senior Division. Problems in this division will be drawn from all major fields of law.
What you learn:
The competition helps develop skills in legal drafting, public speaking, formulation of legal arguments, professional conduct and legal research.
Competition dates for 2016 are as follows:
· Registration opens: Monday 21 March 9am
· Registration closes: Wednesday 30 March 5pm
· Round One: Monday 4 April arriving at 6:00pm (competition starts at 6:30pm)
· Round Two: Wednesday 6 April arriving at 6:00pm (competition starts at 6:30pm)
· Quarter Final: Monday 11 April arriving at 6:00pm (competition starts at 6:30pm)
· Semi-Final: Wednesday 13 April arriving at 6:00pm (competition starts at 6:30pm)
· Grand Final: Monday 18 April arriving at 6:00pm (competition starts at 6:30pm)
Competition Regulations: http://monashlss.com/sites/default/files/2016/page/2016_competition_regulations-2.pdf
For any further questions please contact the Competitions Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org