Designing a Theme Park - Motiongate
21 July, 2016
Engineers Australia South Australia Level 11, 108 King William Street Adelaide South Australia 5000
Flinders University Society of Engineers FUSE
REGISTRATION REQUIRED! SEE LINK BELOW!
Aurecon was recently involved with the design and documentation of Motiongate, a theme park housing Sony Pictures Studio, Smurf Village, DreamWorks and Lionsgate branded zones. Jonathan Downes, Fahad Islam and Alister Mansfield were three designers based in Adelaide working with a team of over 300 to deliver total engineering works for the site. The site is located halfway between Dubai and Abu Dhabi in the Dubai Emirate and is over 350,000 m2 in size.
Jonathan and Fahad are senior structural and mechanical engineers respectively who work for Aurecon in Adelaide, who design led over 30 buildings from concept through to tender in Australia and then spent time in Dubai handing over the project to the site implementation team. Alister is the lead Structural Modeller responsible for the documentation of over 30 buildings and coordinating design documentation teams across various offices.
Jonathan, Fahad and Alister will present and discuss various technical and non-technical challenges that were negotiated throughout the project such as
• Designing 16m diameter Smurf Mushrooms out of RC concrete;
• How do you cool a theme park in 50degee Dubai Summer?;
• As well as the challenge of managing the design and decimations of a project that ‘never slept’;
• How do you coordinate full BIM documentation team of across geographies, time zones and design teams;
• Working with Architects that don’t have an office in your country;
• Delivering the project to Construction in under 12 months.
Come along to hear about what is involved in designing a theme park.