BUBS: Lamington National Park
22 October, 2016
Lamington Tea House
Bond University Bushwalking Society
Come join the Bond University Bushwalking Society (BUBS) for the second walk of 163!! We will be taking a scenic 12km return walk along Dave’s Creek Circuit, in the Binna Burra section of Lamington National Park.
Dave’s Creek Circuit is renowned for its diverse vegetation, as it passes through several distinct vegetation types: warm and cool subtropical rainforest along the Border Track; warm temperate rainforest in Nixon Creek's headwaters; and wet sclerophyll forest around the track intersection to the Ships Stern Circuit. This area has magnificent views of Springbrook, Mt Hobwee, Araucaria Lookout and the Numinbah Valley.
This track is well sign posted, and starts on the Border track and then branches off to follow Ships Stern circuit track before branching off again.
- MEDIUM FITNESS: Class 4*
- TIME: Approximately 5 hours walking time (including lunch). Start time = 0900 and finish time = 1400.
- WATER, LUNCH & SNACKS: Bring at least one large water bottle (recommended 1L), bring lunch as we will be having a lunch break, and take snacks for along the walk
- MEDICAL CONDITIONS: if you have a pre-existing medical condition (such as asthma, diabetes, anaphylaxis etc) please bring your own medications (such as ventolin, epipen etc). If you normally strap/brace your knees/ankles, please do this in preparation.
- CLOTHING: ensure that you wear sneakers/hiking boots, a hat, and bring an extra layer of clothing as temperature can vary in rainforests due to tree cover and while we are stationary for lunch
- ATTENDANCE: please only click attending if you are coming, so we know to wait for you.
The plan is to meet at Lamington Teahouse carpark (which is at the end of Binna Burra Road - 890 Binna Burra Road, Binna Burra QLD 4211) at 0900. This is a 1-hour drive from Bond University. Please be on time and message if you are running late or cannot see us.
A post will be made below regarding carpooling - please comment if you need a ride, and we will do our best to organize one for you.
Look forward to seeing you there!
* Class 4 (Australian Standards)
- Distinct tracks with junctions sign-posted, rough track surfaces with some exposed roots and rocks.
- Variable in width; muddy sections, steep grades and steps may be encountered.
- May be extensively overgrown; hazards such as fallen trees and rockfalls likely to be present.
- Caution needed at creek crossings, cliff edges and naturally occurring lookouts.
- Moderate fitness level with previous experience and ankle-supporting footwear strongly recommended.